We have wrapped up our unit on Rescue Vehicles and will start a new unit on 'Peace' next week. This unit will be based on 'The Peace Book' by Todd Parr. He does a great job describing happiness and peace. For example, Parr writes that "Peace is taking a nap." and "Peace is having enough pizza in the world for everyone". We can't argue with that!! Below are some curriculum highlights:
Dramatic Play: P2 Wellness Center (yoga, painting, listening to music, etc.)
Math: Moons and Stars patterns and exploration
Playdough: Pizza with toppings
Science: Mixing watercolors on coffee filters
Sand Table: Planting a garden
Table for 2: Making a mosaic of the peace dove using old crayons
Literacy: Class book: Peace is....
IMPORTANT REMINDERS AND EVENTS:
1. Please check your child's spare clothing bin and make sure they have spare cold weather clothes (pants and long sleeve shirts). Accidents happen and we want to be sure all of our preschoolers have long pants and sleeved shirts. Thanks!
2. Todd Parr writes in his book that, "Peace is giving shoes to someone who needs them." With that in mind we will be starting a Gear Up For Winter clothing drive next week through Cradles to Crayons. A flyer has been placed in your child's cubby with information regarding specific needs. We will drop off all donations on Friday the 23rd.
3. "Peace is wearing different clothes." Expressing ourselves through what we wear is often a way for many to find inner peace! Next Thursday, December 15th is "Dress and Express Yourself" Day. We are inviting our preschoolers to wear whatever they would like to school that day. Please discourage any wands, weapons or things that may get lost! Thanks!
4. The date for music with Hugh Hanley has changed. He will be coming on Tuesday, December 13th (instead of the 15th) at 11:30am.
The website is updated with recent pics so be sure to check them out. Have a great weekend!
Lauren and Rachel
Welcome to December! We are kicking off the month with a unit on Rescue Vehicles! This was inspired by our preschoolers and they are loving it. We will learn about all different rescue vehicles and the workers that drive them, including fire trucks, police cars and even medical helicopters. Check out more curriculum highlights below:
Dramatic Play: Auto Shop/ Gas Station
Art: Painting with cars on ramps
Building Rug: Lego Vehicle Challenges
Literacy: Making letters with nuts and bolts
Math: Color sorting Matchbox cars
Sensory Table: Bridges and Tunnels
Science: Making parachutes
After our unit on Rescue Vehicles we will do a unit on 'Peace' for the rest of the month. We will base our unit on 'The Peace Book' by Todd Parr. Although peace is a vague concept for children to understand we will focus on community, friendship and loving ourselves and others. We typically do a unit like this around the holidays. Although we don't celebrate one particular holiday in the classroom, it is often a time of year where discussions around different beliefs and ideas arise. We welcome parents to come in and do an activity or read a book related to a family tradition or celebration.
IMPORTANT EVENTS AND REMINDERS:
1. We had our first super cold day on Monday of this week. Please be sure to send in a hat and gloves everyday. It may even help to have an extra pair you can leave at school so your child has a pair everyday!!
2. Our preschoolers have earned their first Kindness Party! We have collected a lot of kindness pom poms (for the kind acts our preschoolers do) and now it is party time. Next Tuesday, December 6th we will have a pajama and pancake party. Please send your child/ children to school wearing their jammies!
3. We will have music with Hugh Hanley on Thursday, December 15th at 11:30am.
4. The preschool will be closing at 12:45pm on the Friday before the holiday break (December 23rd). We will then be closed through January 2nd, reopening on Tuesday, January 3rd.
The website is updated with recent pics from the week. We also wrote letters to our classmates at the Literacy Table this week and they were really sweet. Be sure to ask your child/children about them! Have a great weekend!
Lauren and Rachel
Welcome to the Preschool Two blog. This page is where you can access information about your child’s classroom. We will update our classroom blogs weekly (and sometimes more often) with updates regarding fun activities, important dates and events, curriculum and classroom photos. Be sure to check it out!