It was a fun and exciting week in Preschool 2. We read The Gruffalo's Child by Julia Donaldson and did lots of fun activities. We finished making our own forest called Gruffalon, we went on a Big Bad Mouse hunt (as opposed to bear hunt), learned about all different animal tracks and practiced making shadows using a shadow box and flashlights. We were also lucky enough to have Sam's grandfather come in and show us his drone. The kids loved seeing it and we even have some pictures on the website for you.
Next week is a short week and we will be preparing for a small friends-giving feast on Monday and Tuesday, and then celebrating together on Wednesday before our dismissal. On Wednesday at 9-9:15am our preschoolers will join with Preschool One to watch a short movie of the book The Gruffalo and then we will all have a friends-giving snack together in our classroom. It should be very fun!
When we return after Thanksgiving break we will start a unit on Rescue Vehicles. Stay tuned for more details!
IMPORTANT REMINDERS AND EVENTS:
1. Some of you have been asking for 'homework' for your preschooler to work on (typically when older siblings are doing theirs but anytime is good). We have pulled together a bin of fun homework activities if you would like to grab one or two and bring them home feel free. Some are to keep while others may need to be returned. Just check in with Rachel or Lauren about where the bin is located and to get further info on specific activities.
2. We have started a new literacy activity where we will send home a stuffed animal with each of our preschoolers for a weekend. You and your child/children can then write/draw or tape in photos in a journal to document your adventures. Our stuffed animal is a bear named Bongy Bob the Builder (he was given his name through a democratic vote!). We will let you know in advance when it is your weekend to take Bongy. Let us know if you have any questions!
3. Next Tuesday, November 22nd, we will have music with Hugh Hanley at 11:30am.
4. On Wednesday, November 23rd we will have our special preschool friends-giving celebration from 9-10am and then head out to the playground. The entire Newton Public Schools system will be closing at 11am on Wednesday and remain closed until Monday, November 28th.
The website has been updated with recent pics so be sure to check them out! Let us know if you have any questions and have a great weekend.
Lauren and Rachel
It has been quite an eventful and 'witchy' week here in Preschool 2! We had a successful Halloween parade and want to thank all of the parents that came along for the walk! We wrapped up all of our activities for Room on the Broomtoday. The kids loved making their own onomatopoeias and spelling with scrambled letters. We will be hanging up their awesome work on the bulletin board outside the class. We also had 'growing Zombies' at the science table that the kids paid close attention to all week and were intrigued by how much they grew by the end of the week. They were excited to be able to trace and color on them today.
We will be continuing our author study on Julia Donaldson next week by reading and focusing on The Gruffalo. We will be doing lots of activities related to the characters in the story as well as the forest they live in. Check out some curriculum highlights below.
Literacy: Gruffalo Letter Matching Bingo
Art Table: Designing an animal mask from the story
Dramatic Play: A forest with a cave and fire pit to make 'Gruffalo crumble'
Math: Forest Discovery Boards with acorns, twigs and pond rocks
Playdough: Making 'Gruffalos'
Important News & Events:
1. There will be no school on Friday, November 11th in observance of Veterans' Day.
2. With Halloween week coming to an end, we ask that you do not pack candy in your child's lunch. Please save the special treats for at home!
3. Also, be sure to check lunch items for peanuts. Several high school students have peanut allergies that enter our classroom so it is important we don't have any contamination.
We will be updating the website with pictures from the Halloween parade as well as from the rest of the week!
Have a wonderful and relaxing weekend!
Lauren and Rachel
Welcome to the Preschool Two blog. This page is where you can access information about your child’s classroom. We will update our classroom blogs weekly (and sometimes more often) with updates regarding fun activities, important dates and events, curriculum and classroom photos. Be sure to check it out!