Lots of news to report! We are thoroughly enjoying our Mangrove unit. We will continue this unit next week by learning about the water cycle, measuring frog hops, using the directional words 'above' and 'below' and learning a new SWAMP song sung to the tune of Bingo. Below are more curriculum highlights:
Water Table: Water beads with branches
Playdough: Sand foam and flowers
Literacy: Journal Entry: My swamp animal _________________.
Table for Two: Cutting snakes
Sand Table: Mud with shells and turtles
Science: Rain cloud experiments
We also wanted to share some information about our small group instruction. Our preschoolers are loving this structured time and are ready for the challenge! We are now running small group activities both in the early morning and late afternoon, as well as 2x a week during choice time. All of these activities foster skill building but also fold in lots of language as well as social skill building! We will hang more detailed information and photos on one of the bulletin boards in the hallway. As always let us know if you have questions or would like more information!
IMPORTANT NEWS AND EVENTS:
1. We will have Music with Hugh Hanley next Thursday, April 6th at 11:30am. If this is a day your child does not attend school please feel free to join us.
2. We will have a special visit from Barn Babies on Wednesday, April 12th at 10am. This is one of the highlights of the school year. They bring a variety of adorable baby animals including kittens, puppies and the famous baby goat in a diaper.
3. Newton Public Schools will be closed on Friday, April 14th in observance of Good Friday. NPS will then be closed that following week for April vacation (4/17-4/21). We will be open for a full day until 4pm on Thursday, April 13th.
4. We will be going on our class field trip after vacation on Tuesday, April 25th. We will be going to the Ecotarium in Worcester, MA. The Ecotarium is a fabulous science museum and well worth the drive! Check out their website if you have a moment at EcoTarium | science. nature. explore. connect. We will be asking parents to sign a permission slip in the next week or two at drop off or pick up. We will send more details (times, itinerary, lunches, etc) as the date gets closer.
5. A few of our preschoolers have made a guest appearance as a Mystery Reader and it has sparked an interest. A lot of our friends have been asking if they can read too and we are happy to oblige. We understand that some friends are reading while others are still learning. If your child would like to read a familiar text, such as, Goodnight Gorilla or Brown Bear, Brown Bear that is a great way for them to share. We are also happy to help sound out words and read with them! Let us know if your child has shown interest but is a little worried and we can help make it happen!
The website has been updated with recent pics so be sure to check them out. Have a great weekend and stay warm!
Lauren and Rachel
Welcome to the Preschool Two blog. This page is where you can access information about your child’s classroom. We will update our classroom blogs weekly (and sometimes more often) with updates regarding fun activities, important dates and events, curriculum and classroom photos. Be sure to check it out!